NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA

June 18, 2013

Three-alarm fire displaces families, kills dog


Newburyport Daily News

---- — ROWLEY — At least three people were left without a place to sleep after a rolling three-alarm fire consumed much of a Central Street house this afternoon, killing a dog belonging to one of the homeowners.

Fire departments from across the region converged upon the 113-year-old around 12:30 p.m. to see walls of flame shooting from the back of 112-114 Central Street.

Watching the house that has been in his family's name for generations burn, Terrance Barboro said he was inside his residence at 114 Central St. when his brother, Richard, rushed in to say the house was on fire and they had to leave immediately.

"I ran over to his side to see what it was," Terrance Barboro said, adding a good portion of the house was in flames.

By the time he headed back to his unit to rescue his dog, Ozie, it was too late as the dog fell victim to the rapidly building fire. A cat living with him was able to escape, he said.

A visibly shaken Terrance Barboro said he was able to escape unscathed but his brother wasn't as lucky inhaling enough smoke to be transported to Anna Jaques Hospital in Newburyport for observation. Terrance Barboro said he was trying to reach his brother's wife who had no idea her house was up in flames.

Rowley Deputy Fire Chief Roger Merry said by the time first responders made it to the scene, the back side of the house was consumed by fire.

"Just a wall of fire," Merry said.