, Newburyport, MA

May 16, 2014

Man shot by Salisbury police identified

Newburyport Daily News

---- — SALISBURY — Twenty-nine year old Nicolas Foster, has been identified by authorities as the individual killed by Salisbury police yesterday afternoon, after a domestic dispute left two other victims in hospitals recovering from stabbing wounds.

According to Carrie Kimball-Monahan, spokeswoman for Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett, Foster has an address of 150 Cable Avenue, Salisbury.

. "The two victims found in the 150 Cable Avenue residence suffering from severe knife wounds, remain hospitalized and in stable condition. The female victim was Mr. Foster’s wife. Information concerning the identity of the male victim is not being released at this time," she added.

According to police, at around 12:45 p.m. Thursday, police received a 911 call from 150 Cable Avenue regarding an domestic dispute. As officers Michael Alder and Sgt. Robert Roy was heading down Cable Avenue, the 29-year-old man, who has not yet been identified, was heading towards them in a maroon Toyota. He rammed Sgt. Roy’s cruiser.

A nearby neighbor, Fiona McClelland of 117 Cable Ave., said she saw the collision and went outside to help the man whom she thought was the victim of a motor vehicle accident. She ran over and saw him reach behind his seat. Police then ordered her to get away from the car and go back into her home. Inside her house, she watched as the man exited the car, wielding a small knife and a long machete. The man, acting methodically and strangely, then began slowly walking towards Alder and Roy, who drew their weapons and ordered him to drop his weapons.

Moments later, police Chief Thomas Fowler arrived at the scene armed with an assault rifle. Again, police ordered the man to halt and disarm himself, said McClelland. But he continued approaching police, she said, prompting police to open fire. The man fell face first on to the ground dead a few houses down from the crash site. McClelland said she didn’t see who fired the fatal shot. She said two contractors working on a residence a few houses down videotaped the incident and heard the suspect ask police to shoot him.

Blodgett said officers first tried Tasering the suspect but that didn’t stop his progress. It is still under investigation whether police were able to successfully hit him with a Taser, which fires wires that carry a strong electric pulse. No officers were injured, Blodgett added.

The investigation being conducted by Blodgett's office remains active, Kimball-Monahan said, and no further information will be released or comments made until the completion of the investigation, at which time, a full report will be released to the public.