Super Bowl Sunday is America's unofficial holiday, and the buildup to the game is matched only by the anticipation of the commercials during the game. Here is our list of 10 of the most memorable spots in Super Bowl history.
McDonalds Showdown (1993)
The NBA was arguably at the height of its popularity when the fast food giant aired this spot during Super Bowl XXVII. The premise was simple: the game's biggest stars -- Larry Bird and Michael Jordan -- in a game of H-O-R-S-E, with a Big Mac for the winner.
Pepsi: Your Cheatin' Heart (1996)
A classically clever spot in which a Coca-Cola delivery man tries to swipe a Pepsi from an adjacent cooler. Comic touch: The inclusion of Hank Williams Jr.'s iconic country ballad. Oh, and the security camera view.
Coke: Mean Joe Greene (1980)
This spot, which actually premiered during the Major League Baseball playoffs in 1979, won a Cannes Gold Lion for advertising excellence and has consistently been voted among the best Super Bowl commercials of all time. It also changed "Mean" Joe Greene's image. "I was suddenly approachable," Greene recalled recently. "Little kids were no longer afraid of me, and older people would come up and offer me a Coke."
Budweiser: Frogs (1995)
The commercial itself was simple enough: Three frogs in a swamp each croaking a syllable of the beer company's name. But the ad in many ways defined Super Bowl advertising in the 90s and became a cultural phenomenon.
Apple: Macintosh (1984)
Many still consider this not only the best Super Bowl commercial ever, but the best commercial ever, period. Directed by Ridley Scott, the spot aired only once, during the third quarter of Super Bowl XVIII, and is widely credited with helping make advertising during the big game must-see TV.
Monster: When I Grow Up (1999)
Monster.com's first Super Bowl ad paid off for the jobs website in a big way. Having small children recite such hackneyed business jargon as "I want to claw my way up to middle management" resonated in a big way with many viewers.
Budweiser: Welcome Home (2003)
With the memory of 9/11 still fresh in many people's minds, and with the US less than two months away from invading Iraq, Budweiser tugged at the heartstrings of many viewers with this memorable -- and wordless -- one-minute spot during Super Bowl XXXVII.
E-Trade: Talking Baby (2012)
This was the first commercial in the financial services company's famed "Talking Baby" franchise, featuring a toddler in front of a webcam discussing the particulars of online investing and stock trading in an adult voice -- usually with a deadpan delivery.
Doritos: Man's Best Friend (2012)
Doritos has aired its share of racy Super Bowl ads, but this one used a simple comic premise -- a Great Dane covering up evidence and using Doritos to quiet the sole witness to his crime -- to score big with viewers.
Dodge: Farmer (2013)
Dodge used radio broadcaster Paul Harvey's "God Made A Farmer" speech, together with compelling still images depicting farm life, to great effect in this two-minute spot that was shared nearly two million times via social media during and following the game.
- Community News Network
Raw oysters spike U.S. rise in bacterial infections, CDC reports
Raw oysters, so good with hot sauce, increasingly can carry something even more unsettling to the stomach: A bacteria linked to vomiting, diarrhea and pain.
To sleep well, you may need to adjust what you eat and when
Sleep. Oh, to sleep. A good night's sleep is often a struggle for more than half of American adults. And for occasional insomnia, there are good reasons to avoid using medications, whether over-the-counter or prescription.
Doctors to rate cost effectiveness of expensive cancer drugs
The world's largest organization of cancer doctors plans to rate the cost effectiveness of expensive oncology drugs, and will urge physicians to use the ratings to discuss the costs with their patients.
Low blood-sugar levels make for grousing spouses
Husbands and wives reported being most unhappy with their spouses when their blood-sugar levels were lowest, usually at night, according to research released this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Missing a meal, dieting or just being hungry may be the reason, researchers said.
VIDEO: Toddler climbs into vending machine
A child is safe after climbing into and getting stuck inside a claw crane machine at a Lincoln, Neb., bowling alley Monday.
- VIDEO: From infant to teen in four minutes
- Victimized by the 'marriage penalty'
- Allergies are the real midlife crisis
- Tax deduction for a gym membership?
- VIDEO: A year after marathon bombing, Boston remains strong
- Google acquires drone maker Titan Aerospace to spread Internet
- E-Cigarettes target youth with festivals, lawmakers say
- Search teams will send unmanned sub to look for missing Malaysian airliner
- Why Facebook is getting into the banking game
- Train, entertain your pets with these 3 smartphone apps
- Stepping forward: The real Colbert
- Millions of Android phones, tablets vulnerable to Heartbleed bug
- VIDEO: Northern California bus crash kills 10
- Teens trading naked selfies for mugshots
- Boston doctors can now prescribe you a bike
- Day care's cost can exceed college tuition in some states
- VIDEO: CBS taps Colbert as Letterman’s Late Show successor
- VIDEO: Cement truck crashes into minivan
- Brakes, steering and...spiders? What's behind the latest auto recalls
- Spartans mourn passing of 'Princess Lacey'
- VIDEO: Nebraska prom mishap goes viral
- Is a paleo vegetarian diet possible?
- 10 tips for surviving a severe allergy season
- Revolutionary War flag could fetch millions at auction
- 'Heartbleed' flaw leads security experts to urge password changes
- Raw oysters spike U.S. rise in bacterial infections, CDC reports
Plane through: Cessna lands on Houston golf course
HOUSTON (AP) — An area near the 11th hole at a Houston golf course provided a smooth landing spot after a small plane ran out of fuel and glided on to the grass.
The Cessna 170 was expected to be moved from Hermann Park on Tuesday. The unplanned landing of the single-engine plane happened Monday night on a flight from Lafayette, La.
- Maine ice shack transformed into 'Shangri-La'
- PETA proposes robotic groundhog for Pa. festival
- Judge: Dance parties a no-no at Jefferson Memorial
- Video: Man playing with chicken on NYC subway
- Plane through: Cessna lands on Houston golf course