Spicy Carrot and Asparagus Stir-Fry
3 to 4 servings
The surprise in this spur-of-the-moment stir-fry is the combination of back-of-the-palate heat from the crushed red pepper flakes and the cooling tingle of a generous amount of mint. Serve with brown rice. From cookbook author Mark Bittman.
1 pound asparagus (woody ends trimmed off)
12 ounces carrots, scrubbed well
2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
Cut the top 2 inches from the asparagus spears and reserve; cut the rest of the spear crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Cut the carrots crosswise into 1/2-inch coins.
Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the carrots, garlic and onion; stir-fry until the carrots start to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the asparagus pieces, the crushed red pepper flakes (to taste) and a splash of water; stir fry until the asparagus is barely tender, 2 minutes. Add the reserved asparagus tips and a splash of water; stir-fry for a minute or two, until the tips are barely tender.
Season with salt to taste, then remove from the heat and stir in the mint. Serve hot.
NUTRITION Per serving (based on 4): 130 calories, 4 g protein, 16 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 5 g dietary fiber, 7 g sugar
Turnip and Bok Choy Mash
4 to 6 side-dish servings
Consider this a twist on an Irish colcannon: Turnips replace the potatoes; bok choy and turnip greens stand in for the cabbage or kale. Olive oil keeps the whole thing vegan. Adapted from an off-the-cuff recipe by Mark Bittman, author of "VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health . . . For Good," (Clarkson Potter, 2013).
2 bunches small turnips with greens (about 2 pounds total)
2 bunches baby bok choy (about 12 ounces total)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Scrub the turnips and separate them from their greens, then chop the greens.
Combine the turnips, greens and bok choy in a medium saucepan and add enough water to come up the sides by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat so the water is bubbling, but not vigorously. Cover and cook until the turnips are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
Uncover, increase the heat to medium-high and pour in the oil; cook until the water has mostly evaporated but the mixture is still very moist. Season with salt to taste.
Remove from the heat and mash roughly with the back of a wooden spoon, then stir in the parsley.
NUTRITION Per serving (based on 6): 130 calories, 2 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 4 g dietary fiber, 6 g sugar
WASHINGTON POST-BLOOMBERG--05-31-13 1500EDT
Spicy Carrot and Asparagus Stir-Fry
- Community News Network
Most deadly fraternity scraps initiation for new members
Sigma Alpha Epsilon, one of the largest U.S. fraternities and the deadliest, said Friday it will ban the initiation of recruits, citing the toll that hazing has taken on its newest members.
VIDEO: Michigan woman's death, mummified body hidden by auto-pay for six years
The mummified body of a Michigan woman was discovered in the backseat of her car approximately six years after her death. The body was only found after the bank that foreclosed on the home ordered work on the property.
VIDEO: Chrysler orders community college to crush rare Dodge Viper
Students at a community college in Washington are fighting to save a rare Dodge Viper given to them by the Chrysler Corporation. The company now says it must be destroyed for legal reasons.
VIDEO: Penguin sweaters save birds trapped in oil spills
A wildlife group in Australia is inviting volunteers to knit sweaters for the penguin population it conserves, because it says the sweaters can actually save the lives of birds caught in oil spills.
VIDEO: Kentucky AG holds back tears, announces he won't defend marriage ban
In a tearful statement that went viral this week, Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway announced that he would not defend his state's ban on gay marriage in court. Conway made the announcement after a federal judge ruled that Kentucky must recognize same sex marriages performed in other states. However, Gov. Steve Beshear said he will hire private attorneys to appeal the judge's order.
- Staples to close 225 stores as online competition hurts sales
- 2 in Indiana sickened after eating contaminated Skittles
- VIDEO: A panoramic view from atop One World Trade Center
- 5 memorable college hoops tourney buzzer beaters
- What you need to know about subtle office bullying
- Lilly's diabetes drug rejected by FDA
- Target seeks new technology head after data breach
- Facebook cracking down on illegal gun sales planned on site
- Avenger an American value
- VIDEO: Mother, children rescued from van in ocean
- Frigid U.S. weather means highest power prices since '08
- VIDEO: Will the NFL move the extra point to 42 yards?
- Study says too much protein could lead to early death
- Do flu shots cause runny noses?
- VIDEO: New Jersey teen sues parents for tuition
- Winter stifles pollen, but other pests can make allergies worse now
- VIDEO: New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast unveiled
- VIDEO: Museum removes Corvettes from sinkhole
- VIDEO: Apple iPhone to become more car-friendly
- Polar vortex may prove to be a powerful pesticide
- VIDEO: Best moments from the 2014 Oscars
- The glitz, the glamour and the movies: 3 apps for Oscar weekend
- Five things you should know about the Netflix-Comcast deal
- VIDEO: A look inside a Cuban cigar factory
- VIDEO: NASA discovers 'mother lode' of alien planets
- Most deadly fraternity scraps initiation for new members
Plane through: Cessna lands on Houston golf course
HOUSTON (AP) — An area near the 11th hole at a Houston golf course provided a smooth landing spot after a small plane ran out of fuel and glided on to the grass.
The Cessna 170 was expected to be moved from Hermann Park on Tuesday. The unplanned landing of the single-engine plane happened Monday night on a flight from Lafayette, La.
- Maine ice shack transformed into 'Shangri-La'
- PETA proposes robotic groundhog for Pa. festival
- Judge: Dance parties a no-no at Jefferson Memorial
- Video: Man playing with chicken on NYC subway
- Plane through: Cessna lands on Houston golf course