Electric wires for holiday lights are not chew toys for pets. Electrocution and fire hazards are real dangers that affect pets every year.
Even button batteries can be fascinating for pets. They may seem like fun amusement for our furry friends, but their small size makes them easy to swallow. Ingested batteries are dangerous and usually need to be removed surgically.
Finally, happy tonics and libations are popular during the holidays. Many dogs like the taste of beer and mixed drinks, and cats may take some sips, too. Be sure to keep these out of reach of your furry family members. Pets are unable to metabolize alcohol as we do and can quickly succumb to alcohol poisoning.
If you’re looking for the “purrfect” holiday present for your precious pooch and fancy feline, remember that what your pet wants more than anything else is time with you. Plan an extra walk with Fido, and snuggle with Fluffy in front of the fireplace. Your pet will thank you, and you will feel better, too.
Dr. Heidi Bassler practices at Bassler Veterinary Hospital (www.basslervet.com) at Crossroads Plaza in Salisbury. She hosts a radio show, “Your Pet’s Health,” every Sunday morning at 8:30 on WNBP 106.1 FM and 1450 AM. Do you have questions for Dr. Bassler? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.