Newburyport Daily News
---- — On this day in 1915, the statue of William Lloyd Garrison in Brown Square was unveiled and dedicated with appropriate ceremonies. It was designed and executed by Newburyport sculptor David M. French. William H. Swasey gave the statue of the great emancipator, honoring the city by its being his birthplace.
— Information provided by the Historical Society of Old Newbury