, Newburyport, MA

May 28, 2013

police catch car Thief

By Dave Rogers
Staff Writer

---- — AMESBURY — A Haverhill man sentenced to four months in jail for breaking into more than 30 cars on Arlington Street and stealing one of the vehicles right before Christmas 2011 is back in trouble with the law following his arrest early Sunday morning outside Cumberland Farms on Main Street.

Charles Anderson, 20, of 95 Lincoln Ave., was charged with 22 previous warrants and resisting arrest following the early morning incident with police. According to Amesbury police, the warrants were based on the Arlington Street car breaks but police were unsure of the specific nature of the charges.

According to police, Anderson was recognized by police officers Ronald Guilmette and Craig Lesage conducting a routine patrol of the area. When approached by officers, Anderson denied being the same man. Eventually, a scuffle ensued, and Anderson was placed under arrest.

On Dec. 24, 2011, Amesbury police arrested Anderson and Jake Pereira at Pereira’s Arlington Street apartment after another Arlington Street resident saw them parking a white pickup truck and then running down the street. According to police, the duo had been breaking into cars on Arlington Street and the surrounding area for much of the previous night and, at one point, stole the pickup truck after finding a key inside it. During their hours-long spree, they stole thousands of dollars’ worth of iPods, GPS devices, sunglasses, cellphones, phone chargers, binoculars and other items, police say.

Around 7 a.m. that day, they parked the truck farther up Arlington Street and then ran away, catching the attention of a resident who called police. Police soon began receiving multiple calls from nearby residents reporting that their cars had been broken into.

Anderson and Pereira faced a minimum of 30 counts of breaking and entering of a motor vehicle, larceny of a motor vehicle and receiving stolen property less than and more than $250.

By admitting to sufficient facts for a guilty verdict in early 2012, Anderson and Pereira avoided spending as much as two years in jail. Instead, a Newburyport District Court judge sentenced them to 18 months in jail but suspended all but six months of their sentences for two years while on probation. Both received 61 days credit for time served.