Newburyport Daily News
---- — On this day in 1777, the town of Newbury voted to petition the General Court to be able to provide a suitable place within the town “for the inoculation for small pox.” The General Court authorized the erection of an inoculating hospital on Kent’s Island in the Parker River. It’s unknown how long the hospital was used. Later, Newburyport built and maintained a hospital for that purpose near present-day Crow Lane.
— Information provided by the Historical Society of Old Newbury