, Newburyport, MA

April 2, 2013

Student arraigned on sex assault charges

By Dave Rogers
Staff writer

---- — NEWBURYPORT — A 17-year-old Newburyport High School student charged with sexually assaulting a special needs female student during classes last December is out on personal recognizance following his arraignment yesterday at Newburyport District Court.

Tyler Haynes of 236 Low St., No. 23, Newburyport, was issued a summons February by officer Dani Michalek charging him with three counts of indecent assault and battery on a person with intellectual disability and one count of open and gross lewdness. Haynes is expected back in court May 28 for a probable cause hearing. As part of his release conditions, Haynes is to have no contact with his alleged victim.

In February, School Superintendent Dr. Marc Kerble said Haynes had been removed from school in light of the charges.

According to court documents, Haynes allegedly asked the victim to meet him near a school elevator so they could talk. The two had known each other for years previously. He then lead the victim into the elevator, closed the door but didn’t push a button for any of the floors. Inside the elevator, he then asked the victim to touch him.

When she refused, she tried to press one of the buttons only to be prevented by Haynes. Haynes then exposed himself to her, the report states.

The victim then told police, Haynes tried to grab her chest but she managed to push his hand away. Eventually, Haynes opened the elevator door and ordered the victim not to say anything, giving her a kiss on lips before she exited.

After speaking with the victim and the victim’s parent, police sat down with school officials who had heard of the encounter but “were unaware of any interaction between the victim and Haynes beyond an unwanted kiss,” according to Michalek’s police report.

School officials showed police camera footage confirming Haynes and the victim had entered an elevator and were out of sight for approximately 2 minutes and 20 seconds. There are no cameras inside the elevator.

Upon hearing testimony that Haynes had touched female students as early as 6th grade, police conducted interviews with associates of Haynes and their parents. During those interviews, police were able to establish a pattern of inappropriate sexual behavior dating back several years, according to court documents.

Based on those interviews, plus interviews with the most recent alleged victim, police issued a summons for Haynes in February.