NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA

November 20, 2013

Rowley man charged with sexual assault

By Dave Rogers
Staff Writer

---- — ROWLEY — Local police charged a Leslie Road man earlier this week with multiple sex-related crimes including three counts of assault to rape, indecent assault and battery on a person over 14, and open and gross lewdness.

James E. Cullem, 45, was issued a summons Monday on those charges and three domestic assault and battery and one obscene matter to a minor charge. According to police, Cullem has left the state and police are looking in Vermont where he may be working.

“We’re also trying to track down (other) places he might be,” Rowley police Chief Robert Barker said, adding Cullem may not be aware of the charges against him.

Barker said the alleged acts took place over a period of several months starting in August and culminated Monday morning when the victim reported the assault to police. According to police, Cullem allegedly exposed himself to his 7-year-old child and at one point left pornographic material in plain site of the child resulting in the open and gross lewdness and obscene matter to a minor charge. Barker did not say whether the exposure was accidental.

Police are continuing their investigation, with officer Matthew Ziev serving as the primary officer on the case. Barker added police have visited the residence for domestic issues once before.