, Newburyport, MA

Local News

April 27, 2012

Pentucket junior jolted in physics class

Teen taken to hospital as precaution

WEST NEWBURY — A Pentucket Regional High School junior was home resting last night after a scary shock during physics class sent her to the hospital.

West Newbury resident and soccer standout Haley DesRosiers received a jolt from a 220V outlet while cleaning up from a physics experiment at the end of class yesterday, her mother said.

"She's doing fine," Carolyn DesRosiers said of her daughter.

DesRosiers was taken by ambulance to Anna Jaques Hospital in Newburyport around 12:30 p.m. at the urging of paramedics and school staff.

Carolyn DesRosiers said her daughter didn't want to go to the hospital and quickly rebounded after the shock.

"It was short enough," Carolyn DesRosiers said. "It made her nauseous and sick."

Her daughter's blood pressure did drop, which is normal after such a shock.

Carolyn DesRosiers credited school staff and emergency personnel for their "terrific" response.

DesRosiers is a soccer player for Pentucket's girls soccer team, and she's played on the varsity team since her freshman year. She is a former Daily News Fall All-Star.

Carolyn DesRosiers said the shock won't impact her daughter's time on the soccer field.

Haley currently plays for the Aztec Soccer Club out of Amesbury Sports Park.

Officials of the Pentucket Regional School District did not respond yesterday to phone calls about the accident.

Pentucket chairwoman Chris Reading said last night, "I have not heard about this incident, so I really can't comment. I am glad that she is doing better tonight and will make sure that the administration does a thorough investigation of the matter."

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Port Pics
AP Video
Special Features