MERRIMAC — Residents and visitors will have the opportunity to view an example of early Colonial architecture and enjoy a glimpse into Colonial life when the Merrimac Town Improvement Society holds its annual fall open house at the Old Sawyer House on Saturday, Oct. 19. The event will be held from 10 a.m.- 1 p.m. at the Old Sawyer House, 20 East Main St. (adjacent to the Merrimac Fire and Police Station).
In addition to tours of the Old Sawyer House (circa 1735), mulled cider and light refreshments will be served around the main fireplace of the Sawyer House.
The Old Sawyer House, a classic New England saltbox, was built by John Kendrick and sold to Aaron Sawyer in 1758. It remained in the Sawyer family until 1908 when it was sold, along with 14 acres of woodland, to the Merrimac Town Improvement Society.
The house retains much of its original paneling, original upstairs windows and one original fireplace on the second floor. The two downstairs fireplaces were renovated in the mid-19th century. Furnishings and artifacts located in the home reflect the house’s First Period Colonial status.