NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA

Local News

June 21, 2011

Hospital: ER not closing

Reverse 911 message creates confusion among some residents

NEWBURYPORT — Concerned residents yesterday flooded Anna Jaques Hospital with calls after a Reverse 911 message led them to erroneously believe the emergency department would be closed for the next eight weeks.

Around 5 p.m. Sunday, an automated phone call alerted those who signed up for the department's Reverse 911 system that access to Anna Jaques' emergency department via Wallace Bashaw Junior Way would be restricted for eight weeks starting yesterday due to planned renovations to the hospital.

Those who use Bashaw Junior Way to access the emergency department will be redirected to Rawson Avenue, Highland Avenue or Hunter Drive during the construction. Access to the hospital's parking lot and medical center will not be affected.

But Anna Jaques Hospital spokeswoman Deborah Chiaravalloti said many people receiving the call believed the emergency department itself was closing for eight weeks. As a result, the hospital spent considerable time assuring concerned individuals that the emergency department will be available whenever needed.

"It is not closed at all. The emergency department is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week — always will be. It is not undergoing renovations," Chiaravalloti said.

The massive $18.2 million renovation project will include a new inpatient unit consisting of 18 private rooms; a new, more efficient power plant and a new outpatient entrance where the current power plant is located. An official ground-breaking took place early last month. The project is expected to take about 18 months to complete.

Newburyport City Marshal Thomas Howard said the decision to send out a Reverse 911 call was made after receiving word from the hospital about its changing traffic pattern.

The Reverse 911 call has been used periodically to alert residents of snow emergencies, traffic changes and other significant events. The system can also be tailored to certain sections of the city. As of last August, about 7,900 households had signed up to receive Reverse 911 calls. The city, which signed a three-year contract with Plant CML last year for the service, pays no more than $8,500 per year for the Reverse 911 system.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Port Pics
AP Video
US Proposes Pay-for-priority Internet Standards Wife Mourns Chicago Doctor Killed in Afghanistan FDA Proposes Regulations on E-cigarettes Kerry Warns Russia of Expensive New Sanctions Mideast Peace Talks Stall on Hamas Deal Cody Walker Remembers His Late Brother Paul Grieving South Korea Puts Up Yellow Ribbons Raw: Kerry Brings His Dog to Work Raw: Girls Survive Car Crash Into Their Bedroom Three U.S. Doctors Killed by Afghan Security Yankees' Pineda Suspended 10 Games for Pine Tar Colleagues Mourn Death of Doctors in Afghanistan Ukraine Launches Operation Against Insurgents Obama Reassures Japan on China Raw: Car Crashes Into San Antonio Pool Time Magazine Announces Top Influencers List Raw: Angry Relatives Confront SKorea Officials Bigger Riders Means Bigger Horses Out West Yankees Pineda Ejected for Pine Tar Deadly Fungus Killing Bats, Spreading in US
Special Features