AMESBURY — Those looking to pick up a prescription or stock up on Easter Peeps at the newly opened CVS Pharmacy yesterday afternoon had to wait about half an hour after an employee noticed smoke lining the Main Street store’s ceiling.
The store, which opened in mid-February, was closed for about 30 minutes starting around 1 p.m. as Amesbury firefighters pinpointed the source of the smoke and cleared the building.
Assistant fire Chief Glenn Fournier said a rubber belt belonging to a rooftop heating ventilation air condition unit burned apart. The HVAC unit then sent the smoke through the building’s ventilation system.
“There was a definite layer of smoke,” Fournier said.
Power was shut off to the unit and firefighters were able to vacate the smoke without the use of water. There were no injuries and employees were able to re-enter the store a short time later.
Complicating matters for Amesbury firefighters was a medical aid call that required deputy fire Chief David Mather to leave the scene and head off to Myrtle Avenue with an Atlantic Ambulance crew.