Mona Weingarten of Washington, D.C., wasn’t aware that there was mold in her house. She didn’t see anything or smell anything. But when one of the tiles on the bathroom floor became loose, she called a contractor to fix it and he discovered mold. Mold later was discovered elsewhere in her house.
Weingarten, who has severe allergies, developed a fungal infection in her sphenoid sinus and had to have surgery. After spending tens of thousands of dollars on remediation and related costs, she now has an environmental engineer test her house every six months and remove any mold spores. She has the air filters in her heating and air conditioning system changed every three months, and a dehumidifier runs in her basement.
“It’s not something you want to repeat,” she said.