Assistant Principal Paul Murphy referred questions about the incident to Superintendent Pamela Beaudoin. Beaudoin did not return a phone message seeking comment yesterday afternoon.
School officials and police viewed surveillance video of the area near the bathroom and then questioned the students they saw going in and out in the period between school opening and Lambert’s report.
Questioned by school officials in the presence of his parents last month, Lambert adamantly denied being the person who wrote the messages.
His father said that even as police leaned on his son to confess or face arrest, his son refused, saying that he is innocent.
Police noted in their report that Lambert had spent around an hour in the building before signing in as “tardy” shortly before the threats were reported. The surveillance video showed him visiting various locations in the school, including the bathroom, before signing in.
His father said his son sometimes arrives to school before his first class and takes a nap in the auditorium, and that the staff knows his behavior that day was not suspicious. Lambert also said he believes authorities rushed to judgment, and overreacted solely because of the Newtown tragedy.
Police also obtained writing samples from Lambert and a second student who had been seen going into the bathroom that morning.
After noticing similarities between Lambert’s writing and the writing in the bathroom, Manchester police eventually sent photos of the messages and the samples to a handwriting expert, Barbara Harding of Concord, who said the samples appeared to match.
Days after receiving that report, Manchester police got a warrant for Lambert’s arrest.
He was taken into custody by police on Thursday afternoon while at the school, where he had continued to attend classes after the incident.
Lambert turned 17, the age when individuals in Massachusetts are charged as adults, 10 days before the incident.