ATTLEBORO (AP) — Prosecutors provided Aaron Hernandez’s defense team yesterday with the surveillance video from a Boston nightclub where the former New England Patriot and his friend allegedly had a dispute a few days before the man’s slaying.
Defense attorney James Sultan said outside Attleboro District Court that he received a “substantial amount” of material and that the legal team would immediately begin combing through it as they seek to clear Hernandez’s name.
Neither side described exactly what is on the video.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder in the death of Odin Lloyd, a 27-year-old Boston semi-professional football player whose body was found June 17 about a mile from Hernandez’s North Attleborough home. Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancee, had been shot five times.
Prosecutors turned most of the material over to the defense ahead of a brief hearing.
During the hearing, Judge Daniel O’Shea ruled in favor of the defense request to preserve surveillance from the club and from a nearby homeowner — from 10 p.m. on June 14 into the early morning hours of June 15, when authorities say Hernandez and Lloyd were at the club.
Bristol County Assistant District Attorney William McCauley said the material included video from Rumor nightclub and surveillance from a nearby hotel. He said the prosecution also would be providing surveillance from the homeowner.
Prosecutors say Hernandez orchestrated Lloyd’s killing because he was upset at him for talking to some people at the club. Hernandez’s lawyers say the case against him is circumstantial and they are confident he will be exonerated.
Hernandez is being held in jail without bail.
Two other men who authorities say were with Hernandez on the night of Lloyd’s killing are facing lesser charges. Ernest Wallace has pleaded not guilty to a charge of accessory to murder after the fact. Carlos Ortiz has pleaded not guilty to a firearm charge. Both are being held without bail.