On this day in 1748, Capt. John Crocker received permission to set up a rope walk on Bartlet Mall for 10 years. The rope walk, which had the appearance of a long, covered bridge, ran parallel to High Street in front of where the Superior Court building stands today. It featured sophisticated machinery to wind rope from hemp.
— Information provided by the Historical Society of Old Newbury