On this day in 1912, The Daily News reported that the Newburyport Marine Society, at its 140th annual meeting, elected Capt. Richard Newell as president. By this time, the Newburyport Customs House had been consolidated into Boston’s and the last square-rigged ship sailed out of the Newburyport harbor over a decade earlier.
— Information provided by the
Historical Society of Old Newbury