BYFIELD — The Historical Society of Old Newbury and The Governor’s Academy will be hosting a special historical program and student film screening on Thursday, April 18, from 6-8:30 p.m. on the campus of The Governor’s Academy.
The program will include tours of the original “Little Red Schoolhouse,” a special exhibit from the academy’s extensive archival collection, remarks from Headmaster Dr. Peter Quimby and from Jay Williamson, curator of The Historical Society, and the screening of “A Legacy of Change: The Evolution of The Governor’s Academy 1763-2013,” a documentary by Governor’s Academy senior and Newburyport resident Jean Bower. A wine and cheese reception will follow.
The documentary offers a look at the parallels and historic connections between our nation’s history and that of the academy over the school’s 250-year evolution and includes interviews with members of the Senior AP History Class sharing highlights and discoveries on various aspects of these parallels and the global impact our growing nation had on a small New England campus in the heart of “Old Newbury.”
Now In its 250th year, the academy is the nation’s oldest operating boarding school, founded on the Byfield farmland bequeathed in the will of Governor William Dummer in 1763. The school went on to play a vital part in the early years of organized education in Old Newbury and continues to operate today as an independent, co-educational boarding and day school.
The event is open to the public and admission is free; however, seating is limited and a reservation is highly recommended. Reservations can be made by contacting The Historical Society of Old Newbury at 978-462-2681 or email@example.com.