The Daily News is seeking correspondents to assist in coverage of Newburyport schools and community stories. Applicants should have a background in journalism, be able to report and write quickly and accurately, and be available for occasional evening assignments. Applicants should send their resume and clips to editor John Macone at email@example.com
'Stigma' gives Plum Island homeowners a tax break
PLUM ISLAND -- The state Appellate Tax Board has approved requests for tax abatements from a half-dozen oceanfront property owners here due in part to what it said was the effect of vicious winter storms and the resulting decline in beachfront properContinued ...
Viccaro: budget deficit means 'hard decisions'
NEWBURYPORT -- Estimated school budget deficit numbers for this school year continue to change as more updated figures were brought before the School Committee on Monday. Executive assistant Nancy Lysik presented budget totals that showed a potentialContinued ...
Councilors push for pause on 'pot farms'
AMESBURY - A special meeting of the City Council has been scheduled for tonight to hold the first reading of a bill that would establish a temporary moratorium on medical marijuana development in Amesbury. The meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. in theContinued ...
Taking a lesson beyond the books
ROWLEY - There's much more than reading, writing and arithmetic going on in Bill Maguire's fourth grade class at the Pine Grove Elementary School these days. There's business planning and organizing, manufacturing and marketing date setting, and capiContinued ...
Dispatcher shortage strains police budget
WEST NEWBURY - A lack of qualified candidates to work full-time as public safety dispatchers in town is putting a strain on the department's employees and its budget. Police Chief Lisa Holmes told selectmen on Monday night that she would need a $9,4Continued ...
- Selectman proposes changes to CPC
- Boys and Girls Club dancers perform Friday
- Fight over wind turbines billows again at Statehouse
- Charges dropped in ice cream stand fracas
- Vogel says he won't challenge council president
- Harbormaster expansion discussed tomorrow
- Library hosts Cookie Walk Thursday
- Santa visits Byfield Saturday
- Police Logs
- Pentucket musicians take stage at Cafe Jazz
- Racist graffiti found in Salisbury
- Flare shutdown causes return of landfill smells
- Selectmen start planning for financial bumps ahead
- Salisbury winter parking ban in effect
- This Day in History
- 'Stigma' gives Plum Island homeowners a tax break