, Newburyport, MA

October 30, 2013

Man avoids jail after bloody chase, dog attack

By Dave Rogers
Staff Writer

---- — AMESBURY — A New Hampshire man whose life was likely saved by the police officers he attacked during a bloody brawl last year avoided jail time earlier this week after pleading guilty to an assault and battery of a police officer and other charges.

Christopher P. Roy, 29, of Tiffany Road, Salem, N.H., was sentenced to three months in jail by Judge Peter Doyle, who suspended all jail time for 18 months.

Two additional assault and battery of a police officer charges were continued without finding for 18 months, as were resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and vandalizing property charges. Should Roy stay out of trouble during that time, those charges will be dropped.

In September 2012, Roy lost a large amount of blood after crashing through a glass foyer at a High Street apartment complex following his altercation with police. Despite being critically injured, Roy continued to evade capture.

Worried he would die of blood loss, police said they tackled him and applied pressure to the wound until an ambulance crew responded. Roy was taken to Anna Jaques Hospital in Newburyport, where he underwent surgery to repair a damaged artery, according to local police.

The incident began when officers Kevin Mulrenin and David Noyes responded to a disturbance in the parking lot of Lake Gardner Beach. When they arrived, they found a man walking two dogs, including a large bull mastiff or great Dane, and a woman in a parked car. The officers split up and began speaking to the two people.

As Noyes was speaking with the woman, who turned out to be Roy’s ex-wife, the suspect became combative toward Mulrenin. Eventually, Mulrenin attempted to subdue him, but the large dog got in the way and began attacking the officers. Both Roy and the dog were Tasered by the officers, but it did not appear to sufficiently subdue either.

According to police, Roy and the larger dog fled the scene and ran to an apartment complex on High Street. Inside the foyer, Roy was Tasered again, this time by officer Thomas Nichols, who responded to the scene along with Sgt. Glenn Chaput. As a result, Roy crashed through a glass window. Bleeding heavily, Roy got back on his feet and ran down a hallway before he was apprehended by Nichols.

During the events in the foyer, the large dog bit Mulrenin hard enough to tear through his uniform and break his skin. Mulrenin was taken to Anna Jaques Hospital, where he was treated and released.

At the time, local police said it was unknown whether Roy was under the influence of drugs or alcohol or what prompted him to begin his altercation with police.