NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA

June 27, 2013

No Headline Provided


Newburyport Daily News

---- — On this day in 1776, The Massachusetts General Court directed the commissary-general to send three heavy cannons to Newburyport, and also provide for the enlistment of two military companies that were subsequently stationed on Plum Island. The cannons consisted of one 42-pounder and two 24- or 18-pounders, one swivel.

— Information provided by the Historical Society of Old Newbury