On this day in 1811, the Wolfe Tavern reopened on the corner of State and Temple Streets, after the original building was lost to the great fire of 1811 just a weeks earlier. The first Wolfe Tavern was established by Captain William Davenport on the corner of Davenport’s Lane and State Street, (then called Fish Street). The tavern was named because of the admiration of Col. Davenport for Gen. Wolfe, under whom he fought at Quebec.
The Wolfe Tavern, which ran into the mid-20th century, stood at its third location at the corner of State and Harris Streets and became a martyr for the urban renewal effort in the 1960s and 1970s.
– Information provided by the Historical Society of Old Newbury