NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA

Local News

May 6, 2014

This Day in History

On this day in 1635, the Colonial courts allowed the area known as “Quascacunquen” to become a plantation, renamed “Newbury.” “Quascacunquen” was the local Penacook Indian word meaning “waterfall,” which referred to the falls on the Parker River where today’s Orchard and Central streets intersect in Byfield.

— Information provided by Historical Society of Old Newbury

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints

Port Pics
AP Video
Two Women Narrowly Avoid Being Hit by Train In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast New Sanctions on Key Sectors of Russian Economy Crayola Announces Family Attraction in Orlando US Ready to Slap New Sanctions on Russia Kerry: Not Worried About Israeli Criticism Boater Rescued From Edge of Kentucky Dam Girl Struck by Plane on Florida Beach Dies Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating
Special Features