, Newburyport, MA

November 6, 2012

Local man accused of car theft, house break nabbed

By Dave Rogers Staff Writer
Newburyport Daily News

---- — BOSTON — A Georgetown man was arraigned yesterday after allegedly breaking into a female acquaintance’s home in Georgetown over the weekend and then stealing a car in Newburyport before being arrested by state police in downtown Boston.

Richard Ford, 56, was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court on charges of malicious destruction of property under $250, larceny of a motor vehicle, driving while under the influence of alcohol (fourth offense), operating after suspension and resisting arrest. Over the objections of prosecutors, a charge of violating a restraining order was dismissed without prejudice by Boston Municipal Court Judge Mark Hart Summerville.

Prosecutors requested Ford be held on $10,000 bail. Summerville ordered him held on $8,000 and he was transported to answer on a warrant out of Haverhill. Ford was represented by Daniel Toscano and will return to court for a pretrial hearing on Nov. 29, according to Suffolk County District Attorney spokeswoman Renee Nadeau Algarin.

According to state police, Ford was slumped behind the wheel of an allegedly stolen Toyota Avalon in the Government Center section of Boston early Saturday morning when state police caught up with him. Ford, who resisted arrest, was reported to have cuts on his face, mouth and head. He was transported to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was treated for his injuries before spending the rest of the night in jail.

According to Georgetown police, Ford allegedly broke in a Pond Street residence shortly after midnight on Saturday. After a brief confrontation with the victim, who was unharmed, Ford fled from the scene before police arrived. A state police K-9 unit was called to the scene to locate the suspect, but Ford managed to elude capture. He then allegedly traveled to Newburyport, where he stole the Toyota from the commuter rail parking lot off Route 1.

A Georgetown police official called the break-in an isolated incident, adding that Ford had ties to the Pond Street residence. Georgetown police were expected to also charge Ford with threatening to commit a crime and nighttime breaking and entering to commit a felony.