, Newburyport, MA

Breaking News

Local News

April 19, 2013

Plum Island man convicted in copper theft

NEWBURYPORT - A Plum Island man with a self-proclaimed heroin addiction avoided jail time yesterday after admitting he stole copper wire from a Newburyport marina earlier this week and selling it to a Boston scrap metal dealer.

Masen Connors, 27, of 48th St., Newbury, was sentenced to 18 months in a house of corrections with jail time was suspended for two years while on probation. As part of his probation, Connors must remain drug and alcohol free with random screens, pay a to-be-determined amount of restitution and $90 to the Victims Witness Fund.

Connors will still have to answer charges based out of Gloucester District Court involving receiving stolen property more than $250 and larceny over $250 by false pretenses.

According to the police report of Inspector Matthew Simons, Connors drove his Volvo SUV into the Newburyport Marina off Water Street Monday around lunchtime and grabbed a roll of copper dock wire valued between $800 and $1000. A marina employee who thought Connors was a new employee and was transporting wire to another location offered to help. As the witness helped load the wire into Connors SUV, the two engaged in light conversation. The witness became suspicious when he asked Connors where he was going with the wiring only for Connors to tell him he didn’t know.

As Connors left the marina, the witness took down his license plate and informed the marina’s manager. Recognizing Connors action as a theft, the manager called police. Police were able to track down the license plate to Connors and learned that Connors had been arrested and convicted by local police for larceny in 2011.

“The circumstances surrounding the 2011 case involved the same thefts of copper wire dock,” Simons report read.

Simons was able to obtain an arrest warrant for Connors and on Wednesday drove to the Plum Island residence he shared with his mother. Along with Newburyport police Inspector Michael Sugrue and officer Michael Wilichoski, Simons arrested Connors without incident. Simons said his mother told police her son had a heroin problem and had been staying with her for more than a week.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Port Pics
AP Video
Ariz. Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution Began Crash Kills Teen Pilot Seeking World Record LeBron James Sends Apology Treat to Neighbors Raw: Funeral for Man Who Died in NYPD Custody Migrants Back in Honduras After US Deports Israeli American Reservist Torn Over Return Raw: ISS Cargo Ship Launches in Kazakhstan Six Indicted in StubHub Hacking Scheme Former NTSB Official: FAA Ban 'prudent' EPA Gets Hip With Kardashian Tweet Bodies of MH17 Victims Arrive in the Netherlands Biden Decries Voting Restrictions in NAACP Talk Broncos Owner Steps Down Due to Alzheimer's US, UN Push Shuttle Diplomacy in Mideast Trump: DC Hotel Will Be Among World's Best Plane Crashes in Taiwan, Dozens Feared Dead Republicans Hold a Hearing on IRS Lost Emails Raw: Mourners Gather As MH17 Bodies Transported Robot Parking Valet Creates Stress-free Travel Raw: Fight Breaks Out in Ukraine Parliament
Special Features