NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA

Local News

August 24, 2013

Firefighters KO blaze at School Street house

(Continued)

Whenever a fire ignites on the outside of a home, firefighters consider whether a discarded cigarette may have caused the fire, according to Smith. But he noted there was no pile or littering of disposed cigarette butts in the area.

“There’s no obvious cause,” Smith said. “There was really no appreciable smoke inside the building.

Firefighters allowed Duncan to return to his apartment once the fire was safely out — within a half hour of its sparking — and he emerged to note there had been no real damage.

Marjorie Nesin can be reached at 978-283-7000, x3451, or at mnesin@gloucestertimes.com.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Port Pics
AP Video
Renewed Violence Taking Toll on Gaza Residents 2 Americans Detained in North Korea Seek Help US Employers Add 209K Jobs, Rate 6.2 Pct House GOP Optimistic About New Border Bill Gaza Truce Unravels; Israel, Hamas Trade Blame Raw: Tunisia Closes Borders With Libya Four Rescued From Crashed Plane Couple Channel Grief Into Soldiers' Retreat WWI Aviation Still Alive at Aerodrome in NY Raw: Rescuers at Taiwan Explosion Scene Raw: Woman Who Faced Death Over Faith in N.H. Clinton Before 9-11: Could Have Killed Bin Laden Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction
Special Features