Whenever a fire ignites on the outside of a home, firefighters consider whether a discarded cigarette may have caused the fire, according to Smith. But he noted there was no pile or littering of disposed cigarette butts in the area.
“There’s no obvious cause,” Smith said. “There was really no appreciable smoke inside the building.
Firefighters allowed Duncan to return to his apartment once the fire was safely out — within a half hour of its sparking — and he emerged to note there had been no real damage.
Marjorie Nesin can be reached at 978-283-7000, x3451, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.