NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA

Local News

May 7, 2013

This Day in History

On this day in 1734, the town of Newbury granted permission to have the bridge built across the Parker River, but it wasn’t until nearly 25 years later that the structure materialized. It was again sanctioned by the town in 1749 with the funds raised by a lottery.

— Information provided by the Historical Society of Old Newbury

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints

Port Pics
AP Video
Special Features