NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA

May 7, 2013

This Day in History


Newburyport Daily News

---- — On this day in 1734, the town of Newbury granted permission to have the bridge built across the Parker River, but it wasn’t until nearly 25 years later that the structure materialized. It was again sanctioned by the town in 1749 with the funds raised by a lottery.

— Information provided by the Historical Society of Old Newbury