On this night in 1776: After being captured from his brig by the British sloop-of-war, Lively, and held prisoner, Capt. Daniel Lunt of Newburyport escaped into Boston Harbor. Lunt subsequently documented the account of his capture and the treatment that he received while a prisoner. The Committee of Correspondence in Newburyport accepted his statements as "reliable."
3 NRA boardmembers to leave, mayor calls for NRA to dissolve
NEWBURYPORT -- James Shanley and Patty Dorfman, members of the Newburyport Redevelopment Authority, resigned yesterday citing differences with City Hall regarding plans for the 4.2 acres the NRA owns on the waterfront. A third member of the five-persContinued ...
Newburyport Redevelopment Authority and the waterfront: A timeline
The Newburyport Redevelopment Authority has been in existence since the early 1960s, charged with restoring the city's historic downtown and redeveloping its waterfront. The downtown restoration was a success, but the waterfront has been a differentContinued ...
At a crossroads
AMESBURY -- As the owner of the Stage Two Cinema Pub, Donna Turbity has a very simple way to describe her business plan of the past 25 years. "Every movie makes a difference," Turbity said before a recent showing of "Philomena." "We have had some pheContinued ...
Overeating, depression marking the winter of our discontent
Constantly tired? Overeating? Lack motivation to get to the gym, to work, get out of bed or even engage in anything that provides pleasure? If those symptoms describe an unfamiliar sense of melancholy that's set in lately, you aren't alone, accordingContinued ...
The Daily News always seeks to be accurate in its news coverage, but when we make a mistake, we want to know. Readers noting mistakes in stories are encouraged to call city editor Katie Lovett or editor John Macone at 978-462-6666. ¢¢¢ The NewburyporContinued ...
- Battle brewing over 'GMO' food labels
- Motorists to pay higher fees starting July 1
- Votes will be recounted today for dispatch equipment request
- DEP poised to approve Ale House plan
- FinCom members gather signatures for selectmen race
- YWCA's Engaging Communities lunch set for April 9
- 'Aging Mastery' program begins at center
- Police logs
- This Day in History
- Help is available to domestic violence victims
- March 13, 2014
- 2 members of NRA resign, citing differences with mayor
- State eyes money for Plum Island emergency access road
- Ballfield supporters push for $1.5 million home run
- Selectmen ask Triton to postpone budget vote
- Amesbury downtown looks optimistically toward spring
- 3 NRA boardmembers to leave, mayor calls for NRA to dissolve