, Newburyport, MA

August 22, 2013

Port man held without bail on kidnap charges

By Angeljean Chiaramida
Staff Writer

---- — NEWBURYPORT — Deemed too dangerous to be allowed bail, a Newburyport man will remain in jail on charges he kidnapped and assaulted a local woman last week.

Judge Peter Doyle ordered 25-year old Trevor Eaton, of 18 Chestnut St., held without bail after a dangerousness hearing that took place Tuesday at Newburyport District Court. Eaton is charged with kidnapping, as well as indecent assault and battery on a person over age 14 and assault and battery.

Family and friends of Eaton gathered for the four-hour hearing, during which a person was ordered removed from the courtroom after an outburst. Eaton will face a probable cause hearing on Sept. 16.

According to police Marshal Thomas Howard, Eaton was arrested after numerous 911 calls came into the police station just before 8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 13. Callers reported a woman was screaming and trying to escape from a black Chevy Equinox driving the wrong way down Dove Street, Howard said. Calls about a possible abduction flooded into the dispatch center from people in the area of Dove, Munroe and Tyng streets, as the SUV drove by and neighbors heard her screams, he added.

Howard said the victim was a 27-year-old Newburyport woman who told officers she first saw the vehicle as she was walking toward Cashman Park to watch her boyfriend’s softball game. The SUV drove by her several times, she told police, before stopping as she approached Pop Crowley Way. She told police that Eaton asked her for directions, and when she leaned down towards the window to answer, he yanked her inside the SUV.

The victim yelled for help and fought to get the man to stop, as Eaton allegedly drove toward Tyng Street, Howard said. She told police she continued to fight Eaton as he made sexual advances toward her. She accused him of punching her across her left temple, before she was able to reach a pocket knife she had in her pants, which she used to stab him in the right arm and thigh, police said.

At that point, the victim was able to get out of the car as police arrived on the scene. Before she got out of the vehicle, the victim took Eaton’s keys so he couldn’t drive away, according to Howard.

Officers found Eaton up the street, as he spoke on his cellphone bleeding from his injuries, for which he was treated by medical personnel, Howard said.

The victim told police she doesn’t know the suspect, but Eaton told police the couple had a relationship, Howard said.

“There are a lot of unanswered questions that we have and we’re hoping that the public can help answer some of them,” the marshal said last week.