Amesbury, MA — James H. Kelley, 88, devoted husband of 62 years to Alison (Cossaboom), passed away on August 31, 2012, after a battle with Parkinson’s Disease. Jim was born on August 28, 1924, in Everett, the son of the late James L. Kelley and Eugenie (Doucet) Kelley. At Somerville High School he discovered an interest in radio and electronics. He graduated from Tufts University in 1946 with a degree in physics. His graduation had been delayed by service in World War II, during which time he served in the Navy. After the war he established his own TV sales and service business in Woburn.
Jim and Alison lived in North Reading, and later in Reading and Wakefield, where they raised their family. The family spent summers in Five Islands, Maine at the cottage that Jim and Alison purchased in the 1950s.
He was a member of the Electronics Technicians Guild (ETG), and published the ETG News each month for many years. After more than a decade in the television business, he began a second career as a technical writer and editor for the Raytheon Company in Andover and Burlington. He greatly enjoyed this work, and was proud of the publications which he oversaw as a Raytheon contractor for the Department of Transportation in Cambridge.
Jim and his wife Alison moved to Amesbury in 1991 after they retired. Interested in local history wherever he lived, he became involved with the Amesbury Carriage Museum, and served as its treasurer for many years. He was also a member of the Amesbury Improvement Association for which he served as membership chairman. When he was introduced to computers in the 1990s, he embraced the technology, and used it to create brochures and other publicity for the organizations in which he was involved. His interest in photography prompted him to create slideshows about local history which he presented to the residents of area nursing homes. He was featured in the Newburyport Daily News in 2002 for his civic work.