Alabama party mistakenly taps dead man for panel
MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — Reynolds Smith Jr. was a stalwart Democratic voter in Alabama.
But the Alabama Democratic Party overlooked another fact when it appointed Smith to an interim party panel: He died in November at age 83.
Missing Thurman Thomas statue apparently in Canada
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — A missing half-ton chain-saw carving of former Buffalo Bills running back Thurman Thomas is apparently in Canada.
Orchard Park police say an Ontario man called the organization that owns the carving Tuesday. He said he and some friends rescued it after seeing people trying to burn it.
Ohio boy, 7, hit by deer while playing football
WINTERSVILLE, Ohio (AP) — A 7-year-old Ohio boy playing a game of backyard football was tackled by a deer.
Brandon Hiles says he encountered the buck when the ball rolled into woods while he was playing with friends Saturday in Wintersville, about 125 miles east of Columbus. The boy says the buck ran at him and flipped him with its antlers, leaving bruises and a gash.
Free honeymoons in Malaysia to rescue marriages
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — A Malaysian state government says it plans to offer free honeymoons to save the marriages of couples who are on the brink of divorce.
Ashaari Idris, a government official in northern Terengganu state, says troubled couples will be allowed to spend two nights at the state's scenic islands or beach resorts to help them rekindle their romance under a "Second Honeymoon" program.
Thurman Thomas statue missing, day after unveiling
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — A chain saw carving of former Buffalo Bills running back Thurman Thomas is missing from a parking lot across from Ralph Wilson stadium, a day after it was unveiled.
The project's creator, Therese Forton-Barnes, says the 8 1/2-foot statue carved from a fallen pine tree weighs more than 1,000 pounds and it took a crane to get it set up for Sunday's event. She says it would have taken several strong people with a flatbed truck to remove it. It's unclear when it disappeared.
- Colo. minimum wage to drop as living costs fall
- NC man in jail a week for mistaken identity
- Maine couple wins wife-carrying championship
- Intoxicated 21-year-old takes ambulance in Kansas
- ND woman's 7-foot-long dog could be record holder
- Woman in Philippines cracks Okla. case
- Mass. man pleads innocent to stealing pricey wine
- Md. driving lesson ends with minivan in bedroom
- Man who bore cross from Texas arrives in Wash.
- Floor collapses during Ohio 'ghost walk'
- Court delayed when flu-masked inmate spooks lawyer
- Dallas police seek naked backyard dancer
- Dead deer in clown suit left on Iowa porch
- Mass. man who stole, ate hot dog gets 18 months
- In-line skater charged with assault
- SC candidate raffles off AK-47 at campaign rally
- Cremated remains stolen during Fla. burglary
- 1,400-pound bull drags officers down NJ street
- US flag in San Antonio had just 43 stars
- Pa. couple has 49-year marriage but no documents
- Utah woman talks about breaking long fingernails
- Oopsie! Police slash research hemp instead of pot
- Stinker: HI bill to bar bad smells in buses fails
- UPS truck is Denver's champion parking violator
- Ohio cops: Robber came back to ask victim for date
- Alabama party mistakenly taps dead man for panel
Plane through: Cessna lands on Houston golf course
The Cessna 170 was expected to be moved from Hermann Park on Tuesday. The unplanned landing of the single-engine plane happened Monday night on a flight from Lafayette, La.
- Maine ice shack transformed into 'Shangri-La'
- PETA proposes robotic groundhog for Pa. festival
- Judge: Dance parties a no-no at Jefferson Memorial
- Video: Man playing with chicken on NYC subway
- Plane through: Cessna lands on Houston golf course