To the editor:
Continuing with my adopted role as spokesperson for the silent majority, may I devote this column to "what's wrong with our educational system," not only nationally but locally. Yes, all of us read what has happened throughout the USA, such as shootings, bullying, unruly students and other incidents, thus disrupting the majority of students who are there to learn. Perhaps you might find this column somewhat radical in what can be done to stop these incidents popping up. My observations have been met by asking questions of the average citizen on the street, and recently some answers that most agree with. You, the reader, may have other ideas and, if so, let it be known to our city and school officials to bite the bullet, trusting their actions may help in either eliminating or at least reducing the problems. It's up to you!
The following represent the answers I received:
1. All agree that education starts in the home, long before children attend school.
2. All agree that honoring thy father and mother, obedience, manners, respect, hygiene and authority should prevail.
3. All agree that teachers are in class to teach and not devote their time and effort to those children who were never taught by their parents.
4. All agree that the "three strikes and you're out" rule should apply to any student, regardless of the grade they are in.
5. All agree that the offenders, in most cases, are repeats in each grade they attend.
6. Not all, but a majority agree to publish the student's (or students') names in the paper.
7. Some suggested to fine the parents of a child or children for the cost of the investigation, time spent and costing taxpayers for the incident.
May I conclude by saying that a majority of our students have all the qualities a parent could ask for, and our school system attempts to offer the education the student seeks. On the other hand, our authorities must take means, even though drastic, to eliminate those who do not wish to learn and attempt to disrupt those who wish to learn. Yes, it's time to bite the bullet!