Newburyport Daily News
---- — To the editor:
Recently, on May 1, the “This Day in History” column was uncannily timely in connecting history to the present.
The Historical Society of Old Newbury reported that 56 buildings on Winter Street were vacated on May 1 in 1934 — to be razed for the Route 1 bypass effort. The number could have easily been 57, but one building was spared. Instead of destruction, it was moved — to 83 Merrimac St.
We know that building today as the vacant and tattered green mansard — the Canepa house. Sadly, its lease on life is about to end, as a recent request to raze it was approved, exactly 80 years after it first escaped its demise in 1934.
Jack J. Santos