- Mix plantings of different colors, textures and forms in the same bowl.
- Create height and privacy with tall planters balanced with shrubs and leafy branches.
- For pots in strong or bright colors, "think continuity, rather than contrast. Bluish tone succulents for a blue-stripe container or red tones in a red planter," said Kameon.
- Going with the succulent trend? Try a succulent with a vertical shape contrasting with a draping plant.
- Plant herbs in trellis or hanging pots for easy access for summertime cooking or grilling.