, Newburyport, MA

October 11, 2012

Bruins coach Julien keeps busy during lockout

Associated Press
Newburyport Daily News

---- — BOSTON — Boston Bruins coach Claude Julien will keep busy during the NHL lockout.

Julien has agreed to coach a youth hockey team later this month to raise money for charity. The team will be chosen by a raffle.

NHL owners have locked out the players for the third time since commissioner Gary Bettman took office in 1993, including a work stoppage that canceled the entire 2004-05 season.

Many Bruins players, including Zdeno Chara, Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin, have decided to play abroad while waiting for a new collective bargaining agreement.

But coaches don’t have much to do.

Money from the raffle will support the Boston Bruins Foundation and Massachusetts Hockey, the sport’s governing body in the state.

While the NHL and the Players’ Association resumed talks yesterday in New York, the NHLPA’s application before an Alberta labor board challenging the legality of a lockout was rejected.

The sides are meeting as the lockout reaches its 25th day. On Friday, they held an unannounced meeting in Toronto to discuss where they were in talks and how to move the process forward.

Officials on both sides were in contact Saturday and Sunday, leading to the meetings.

The union, along with 21 complainants, including players from both the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames, filed the Alberta challenge last month in an attempt to derail the league-imposed lockout under Canadian Provincial law. The Alberta Labour Relations Board struck down the application, saying that declaring the lockout illegal in the province wouldn’t help the league and its players reach a settlement. The players had argued that the Oilers and Flames are Alberta businesses and as such, must abide by provincial labor rules.

Those rules say a mediator must have 14 days to work with both sides in a contract dispute before a lockout vote can be held. The NHL had applied for a mediator in Alberta, but informed the board after three days that it didn’t believe meetings would have to be held.