Eds: New approach. Note contents. detective's in quote from warrant is correct. Adds details, quote from New Orleans warrant. Changes dateline, restores byline, With AP Photos.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Police detectives in New Orleans learned from witnesses that former NFL All-Pro safety Darren Sharper and an associate acknowledged having nonconsensual sex with two women, an arrest warrant states.
It was the latest disclosure in several ongoing sexual assault investigations involving the 38-year-old Sharper in Louisiana, California, Florida, Arizona and Nevada.
In a bail motion filed last month, Los Angeles County Investigator John Maccharella described a pattern in which the former football star met women at clubs or parties and lured them to a hotel room, where they were allegedly drugged and raped.
The New Orleans warrant was released Thursday as Sharper prepared to return to court Friday in Los Angeles, where he has pleaded not guilty to rape and drug charges. His attorneys were set to argue for his release from jail.
Louisiana prosecutors have not formally charged Sharper, who had been free on $1 million bail in California before turning himself in when the arrest warrant was issued last week in Louisiana.
His lawyers contend he should be released again on the bail he has already posted.
The New Orleans arrest warrant does not elaborate on how the information was obtained or disclose the names of the witnesses.
"Through further investigation by the detective's it was learned that Nunez and Sharper admitted to other known witnesses that he and Sharper had vaginal and/or oral sex with victim's #1 and #2 without their knowledge or permission," the warrant states.
Sharper's attorney Nandi Campbell said her client never made any such statements. "It just never happened," she said.
Leonard Levine, a lawyer for Sharper in Los Angeles, has said Sharper will be cleared in the cases.