, Newburyport, MA

April 12, 2014


Pentucket lacrosse buries Saugus early, wins 18-4

By Mac Cerullo
Sports Editor

---- — WEST NEWBURY – The Pentucket boys lacrosse team got a huge win to open its season yesterday, beating Saugus 18-4 in a game that was effectively over the moment the opening whistle blew.

Pentucket jumped out to a 3-0 lead within the first two and a half minutes of the game, and by the end of the first quarter they led 9-0. Saugus’ players barely touched the ball during that stretch, and it wasn’t until a few minutes before halftime that Saugus got its first extended offensive possession.

After going into halftime with a 14-0 lead, Pentucket pulled its starters and used a lineup comprised mainly of junior varsity players. Even with a less experienced squad on the field, Pentucket still held its own, and though Saugus got some offense going in the fourth quarter, Pentucket wound up finishing the game strong with three late goals.

“It was nice for us today, because they didn’t have a JV team so we had everyone in our program here, all 37 guys, so it was nice that everyone got to play,” said Pentucket coach Dan Leary. “We have some guys who are new to the sport and this is their first taste of lacrosse, and they got to play in a varsity game, which was pretty cool for them, so in that sense it was a nice team win.”

Due to wet field conditions at Pipe Stave, the game was played behind the Pentucket Middle School. Despite occasional periods of steady rain, the Pentucket players played a clean, crisp game, and while the varsity starters were in it seemed as though they couldn’t miss the net.

Among the top performers for Pentucket were Connor Beaton, who scored 4 goals for Pentucket within a span of about four minutes in the first quarter, Brendan Sullivan, who scored 2 goals with 4 assists, and Sam Colombo, who had 2 goals and 3 assists.

“It’s nice for us to have assists and goals, instead of watching one guy, which is what we’ve done in the past,” Leary said. “So to see all those assists on the scoresheet was nice for us. It showed we were moving the ball.”

Reid Garrant also had 2 goals in the second quarter, including one that followed a nifty spin move around a pair of defenders to get to the front of the net. Nick Zaia had 2 goals, Jeff Porter had one, and though he didn’t see many shots, senior goalie Brett Connolly had a shutout in goal during his time in the first half, aided by a defense that rarely let Saugus gain possession on attack.

“We got to see different guys in different roles, which is nice early in the season because we’re still trying to iron some things out, but I thought our effort was there and hopefully we continue to improve.”

Pentucket won’t have long to reflect on yesterday’s victory, however, as the Sachems play again today against Haverhill. That game will be played at Trinity Stadium in Haverhill starting at 2 p.m.