Gregg Miliote, Sutter’s spokesman, said the judge allowed for their release as of 2 p.m. Tuesday unless there is an appeal. It was not immediately clear whether Hernandez’s legal team would mount a challenge. A message left for attorney James Sultan wasn’t immediately returned.
Sutter had opposed the search warrants’ release but said outside court his office accepted the ruling.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder and gun charges. His lawyers argue the case against him is circumstantial and say he is eager to clear his name. A judge has denied bail for Hernandez, and he is being held in a Massachusetts jail.
Ortiz, who lives in Hernandez’s hometown of Bristol, Conn., was arraigned last month on a charge of illegally carrying a firearm on the day of the shooting. A not guilty plea was entered on his behalf.
Ortiz is due in court Tuesday morning for a so-called “dangerousness” hearing. Defendants who are deemed by the court to be a danger to the community may be held without bail for 90 days.
Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Monday that if the charges against Hernandez are true, his organization has been “duped.” The Patriots last year signed Hernandez to a five-year contract worth $40 million but released him the day of his arrest.
“If this stuff is true, then I’ve been duped and our whole organization has been duped,” Kraft said in a session with reporters from The Boston Globe, The Boston Herald and ESPNBoston.com. “When he was in our building, we never saw anything where he was not polite. He was always respectful to me. We only know what’s going on inside the building. We don’t put private eyes on people.”
Kraft also said the Patriots will “be looking at our procedures and auditing how we do things” with regard to character reviews.