NEWBURYPORT -- A Seabrook man learned that blaming the New England Patriots for his drunken driving arrest in January won't save him from losing his license for 45 days and paying a hefty fine. 

Pulled over on North End Boulevard around 9 p.m. on Jan, 24, Derek Swift, 28, of Knowles Way, told Salisbury police Officer Richard Dellaria that he had consumed more than four beers as the result of the Patriots losing the AFC Championship title game to the Denver Broncos.  The 20-18 loss knocked the Patriots out of con

"I asked him again how much he had to drink. This time he laughed and said 'are you a Tom Brady fan?' He then said 'come on man, I had at least four beers after they lost.'" Dellaria wrote in his report. 

Swift, a contractor working on the Interstate 95/Whittier Memorial Bridge project, was charged with driving while under the influence of alcohol, marked lanes, open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle, registration not in possession and speeding. 

In Newburyport District Court Wednesday, the drunken driving charge was continued without finding for a year and Swift was ordered to pay $600 in fines. His driver's license was suspended for 45 days and he is required to complete an alcohol safety awareness program. All the other charges were either filed or dismissed. 

According to Dellaria's report, Swift was uncooperative after being pulled over on North End Boulevard. When asked for his license and registration, he instead pulled out credit cards and gift cards from his wallet. He eventually found his license in a pants pocket but when asked for his registration again, Swift replied "no thank you." 

Dellaria asked Swift to exit his car and perform a series of field sobriety tests. Swift said because he works all day on his feet his knees were buckling. In addition to smelling of alcohol, Swift was unable to perform the tests to Dellaria's satisfaction. Swift was placed under arrest and brought to the station for booking. 

The booking process was delayed as Swift became belligerent with officers, hurling insults and expletives at them. He also refused to take a mug shot photo or provide officers with his current address and phone number.

"He made vulgar and rude comments towards the officers while calling us a variety of unique and colorful terms," Dellaria wrote in his report. 


Recommended for you