Emergency personnel attend to a Gloucester man who crashed this scooter on Merrimac Street in Newburyport at the bottom of Summer Street late yesterday afternoon.

NEWBURYPORT — A Gloucester man is in very serious condition after crashing his scooter into an oncoming car yesterday around 4:15 p.m. just after the Route 1 overpass on Merrimac Street, police said.

The 18-year-old man was transported to Anna Jaques Hospital in Newburyport before being immediately flown to a Boston-area hospital via medical helicopter.

Newburyport city Marshal Thomas Howard said the cause of the crash is still under investigation, but it appears the victim disregarded a stop sign at the bottom of Summer Street where it connects to Merrimac Street and rammed into a Toyota Camry heading eastbound on the busy Newburyport street.

“It’s a dangerous intersection even when people stop,” Howard said.

The male driver of the Toyota Camry was uninjured. Howard said the driver, a Newburyport resident, stopped immediately following the crash. It is unknown whether charges will be issued.

The crash caused significant damage to the scooter as debris was hurled over a wide stretch of Merrimac Street. Several decks of playing cards and Magic the Gathering cards were scattered around the battered scooter. A sneaker belonging to the victim was found yards away from the crash and placed on the debris surrounding the scooter.

The victim appeared to be conscious and alert as local firefighters, including Chief Stephen Cutter, and an ambulance crew from American Medical Response worked frantically to immobilize him in preparation for his ride to the hospital. Blood could be seen on the victim, who appeared to have suffered several broken bones.

Police blocked both sides of Merrimac Street and directed cars to nearby side streets during the roughly hour-long response to the crash. Inspector Michael Simons was seen taking photographs of the scene and another officer took a cellphone photo of the scooter’s license plate. Newbury police Chief Michael Reilly and a Newbury Department of Public Works employee were among those who stopped to help first-responders.

Trending Video

Recommended for you