Bulkeley Emerson was Newburyport’s postmaster from the town’s incorporation in 1764 until his death in 1801. Without a dedicated office, Emerson conducted mail business from his book shop near the foot of State Street. Hoping to increase the community’s use of mail service, Emerson endorsed the use of a “Post horn” to alert residents when mail was going out.

- The Museum of Old Newbury