May 4, 1882, was a bad day for sheds, according to Newburyport’s chief engineer in his annual report to the city. P. Moynihan of Elm Street and J.G. Plummer of Union Street lost sheds to fire. Later that same month, E.P. Shaw’s barn on Pike Street, occupied by C.D. Wood, burned. The barn and contents, valued at $1,000, were uninsured.
— The Museum of Old Newbury