NEWBURYPORT – A local man accused of breaking into a vacant Warren Street apartment early Saturday was committed to Tewksbury Hospital for a mental health evaluation following his arraignment Monday in Newburyport District Court.

Colin Thomas Foley, 33, of Eagle Street, Newburyport, was arrested Saturday about 4:30 a.m. and charged with breaking and entering in the nighttime for a felony, malicious destruction of property more than and less than $1,200, disturbing the peace, and tampering with fire call boxes. 

He was also arrested on a previous warrant based on similar charges filed against him two months ago in Salem.

Foley was charged with two counts of daytime breaking and entering for a felony and three counts of vandalizing property after breaking into a School Street home on June 15, according to court records. 

His arraignment on the new charges was delayed several hours Monday morning after his attorney asked Judge Peter Doyle to have his client examined by a court clinician. 

“He’s not grasping what’s going on,” his attorney told Doyle.

Doyle granted the request and held the case until the evaluation was complete. Upon hearing the clinician’s testimony, Doyle ordered Foley taken to Tewksbury Hospital, where he will be monitored at least until his next court appearance, scheduled for Aug. 30, according to court records. 

Tewksbury Hospital, which has 370 beds, provides care, treatment and comfort to adults with mental illness, according to its website.  

Foley smashed into a Warren Street apartment about 4:30 a.m. on Saturday to collect what police said he told them was evidence that abducted children had been held there, according to a police report.

To get inside, he kicked in a window. He then pulled fire alarms in the apartment complex. Eagle Street is next to Warren Street and close to High Street. 

When Officer Michael Richer and others responded to a fire alarm, he saw Foley wandering in a parking lot. 

“I asked Foley if he broke the window to get into the apartment,” Richer wrote in his report. “He eventually admitted he broke the window with his foot and entered the apartment. Foley stated that he entered the apartment in order to obtain evidence that shows that abducted children had been kept there in the past. Foley requested that I swab underneath the toilet for evidence.” 

Soon after those comments, Richer handcuffed Foley and brought him to Officer Charles Ferlauto’s cruiser so he could be driven to the police station. While searching the apartment complex, Richer found two fire alarm boxes damaged beyond repair.

Police soon learned Foley was wearing an ankle bracelet placed on him after his arraignment on the Salem charges. Newburyport District Court’s probation department was notified and issued a warrant for his arrest for violating conditions of his release, according to Richer’s report. 

Staff writer Dave Rogers can be reached by email at Follow him on Twitter: @drogers41008.