NEWBURYPORT – A hearing scheduled for Monday in Newburyport District Court to determine if a rape suspect would be allowed bail while awaiting trial never happened. 

Instead, Brian Rossi's next court appearance was moved to Friday. 

Rossi, 39, was arrested Jan. 6, at his Broad Street home and charged with three counts of raping an acquaintance, along with assault and battery and threatening to commit a crime. He was arraigned hours later in District Court.

At Rossi's arraignment last week, a dangerousness hearing to determine whether he posed too great a risk to the alleged victim's safety was scheduled for Monday. But Rossi was never transported from the Middleton Jail, where he has been since his arrest. 

Because of the seriousness of the charges, a probable cause hearing was scheduled for Feb. 7 to determine if the case will be moved to Salem Superior Court. By that time, Rossi could be indicted by a Superior Court grand jury and arraigned in the higher court.

Among those in District Court awaiting Rossi's arrival Monday was the alleged victim's attorney, Nicole Reilly. 

Reilly had gone to the Newburyport Police Department with the alleged victim shortly before Rossi's arrest and filed a complaint with officers. The alleged victim told Detective Dani Sinclair that in addition to raping her several times, Rossi often beat her and threatened to kill her.

"(He) has told her he will 'slit her throat,'" Sinclair wrote in her report, adding that Rossi called her eight times during the interview with police.

When the interview was done, police went to Rossi's home and arrested him without incident. Rossi denied the charges, telling police that their sex was consensual.

"Brian was upset and stated that he has never raped (the victim) and that was ridiculous," Sinclair wrote in her report.

Staff writer Dave Rogers can be reached by email at drogers@newburyportnews.com. Follow him on Twitter: @drogers41008.

Recommended for you